Saturday, January 14, 2017

I Join a Second Life Blog Parade!




A procession is a participants' journey, while a parade is a performance with an audience.

 Rebecca Solnit





Recently, an old friend in Second Life (SL) and fellow blogger, Caroline Resident, suggested a new activity to her fellow bloggers, myself included. 


(I’d like to think I was included due to the quality of my blogging and not as Significant Other suggests because Caroline needed bodies.)

Anyway, Caroline thought it would be fun to have a blog parade. 

She wanted to do it for all the right reasons especially having fun and promoting the work of all the participants.

The format is simple.  Caroline has asked a series of questions and we all respond.  Even I can do this!

Here’s Caroline’s seed story and an explanation of the parade rules.

And, here are my answers to her questions:

What did motivate you to start a blog about Second Life?

My motivation was twofold.  First, I wanted to explore.  Real Life (RL) events kept me from wandering across the globe so SL became the place I could go to.  (Significant Other beams happily.)  Second, I wanted to write, specifically to blog, and my SL travels gave me great content to blog about. 

Is your blog related to any kind of Second Life business? If yes please tell us what your business is all about.

No, but not for lack of trying!  It’d been my intention early on to make some money inworld to offset my costs and maybe show a small profit.  No luck!  My personal opinion is that Linden Lab’s failure to establish a robust and scalable economy inworld make it very difficult to have a successful business for very long. 

Are you actually making profits in Second Life? Do you dare to tell us how much approximately? 

As I explained in my previous answer, not making any money inworld!

How do you explain people who are not familiar with Second Life, what your blog or your Second Life business is all about?

I’ve given up.  With the sole exception of Significant Other (Who claims to be merely humoring me.) I no longer try to explain SL and my blog to others in RL.  Only SL residents seem to get what I’m all about.

How much time do you spend writing posts or promoting your blog?

I typically post once a week.  So, allowing for writing and tweaking my blog, and social media I probably spend about ten hours per month on it. 

Do you monetize your blog at all? If yes, how successful are you doing so?

Not at the present moment, someday when my traffic is sufficient, I hope to.

Do you actively promote your blog and if so, what methods of promotion or PR do you use?

Yes, I promote my blog actively on Twitter and Google+.  Used to do Facebook but apparently I’m not a real enough person for them! 

What do you like most about blogging about Second Life?

I enjoy bringing my stories to my readers.  When someone says they went somewhere inworld based on one of my stories, or that they’re a regular reader and enjoy my blog, I feel pretty good and it makes all the effort worthwhile!

What is your favorite activity in Second Life?

My favorite activity actually has three parts.  They are visiting new places inworld, making new friends when I arrive, and having new experiences. 

Where do you hang out in Second Life? If someone wanted to bumb into you were could people find you.

I tend to wander so more likely than not, I won’t be in any one particular place inworld very long.  The best way to find me is to send me an offer of friendship and look for me when you come inworld. 

What do you not like about Second Life in general?

I’m disappointed that Linden Labs has not done more to make SL a viable, self-sufficient virtual world.  I believe that an excellent opportunity was missed here. 

And last but not least: Do you have sex in Second Life? Dare to tell us details?

Ah, a gentleman never kisses and tells!  Meet me inworld and find out for yourself!

Well, there are my answers!

I’m very interested to see what happens next!


My thanks to Caroline for arranging this and I look forward to other great ideas from her in the future! 

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives. 

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

            If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

            Open roads and kind fires!

No comments: