Saturday, February 27, 2016

Among the Steampunks: STEAM XI in Second Life


Steam seems to have killed all gratitude in the hearts of sailors. 

Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

  

          The Holidays are past and winter is gradually releasing its icy grasp in Real Life (RL).

          In Second Life (SL), that lull which always seems to follow the New Year’s festivities seems to be drawing to a close as more friends whom I haven’t seen for some time are gradually reappearing inworld.  (Or, as Significant Other puts it, they’re just not as good at avoiding me as they used to be.)

          As I always look for things to keep my mind off of RLs weather at this time of the year and I’m rewarded by knowing that it’s time for the annual Mieville steampunk hunt, STEAM
XI, inworld. 

          For those to whom this may be a new phenomenon in SL, STEAM XI is the eleventh (Hence the “XI” for those who failed Roman numerals in second grade arithmetic.) celebration of all that this is steampunk inworld. 

          STEAM XI is, as always, hosted by the Mayor of Mieville and impresario extraordinaire, Perryn Peterson. 

          The Hunt is a Grid wide event with dozens of merchants, all personally and carefully selected by Perryn himself, offering as gifts to intrepid hunters the very best of their wares.  Several merchants run their own mini-Hunts which adds to the fun.  Two hundred and five spots have been reserved for merchants this year so expect lots of great gifts!

          Hunters look for clues and try to find the gifts which are free.  Some hunters gather into hunt parties and go out together.

          Let’s take a closer look at STEAM XI.

          STEAM is an acronym which stands for “Steampunk Travelers’ Event, Adventure & Megahunt.”  (Rather to the point if I do say so myself!)  STEAM was once a semi-annual event but the effort behind an event of this scale as well as all the other social activities on Mieville’s calendar have necessitated going to an annual schedule.

          I began covering these events with STEAM VII not long after I’d begun blogging. 

          The theme for this year’s Hunt is Realms of the Deep and this is the idea behind all the Hunt’s gifts.  (Shades of Captain Nemo!) 

          This year’s poster has been done once again by the talented Tattoo Lane.

          The Hunt begins at Laughing Gryphon House in the Mieville Doyle Victorian
Steampunk sim .

          From here, hunters launch out across the Grid in pursuit of their treasures.

          STEAM XI runs from March 1st to 31st so don’t miss out! 

          The gear (pictured) marks participating merchants and also contains their hint to help
find their gift. 

          Historical Hunts, Ltd., the sponsoring Mieville organization maintains a blog with Hunt details as well as pictures of gifts.  This blog is also a great resource for future Mieville activities.  Be sure to check it out!

          STEAM XI is a wonderful and fun filled community event in SL. 

          It’s an opportunity to sample the wares of the creative merchants inworld and to meet and hang out with other residents. 

          I strongly encourage all to participate and, if possible, to purchase some of the other merchandise offered by merchants in their shops.  After all, a strong SL economy is good for everyone. 

          I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the Great Challenge of every Hunt!

          Namely to complete the Hunt in its entirety, including mini-Hunts, in record time!

          Who’s up for it?
 
 
 
 
          See you at STEAM XI!

 
          I’d like to thank Perryn for his time and assistance in helping me prepare for this story.   Perryn is one of my oldest and closest friends inworld and I’m grateful for the time he takes from his busy schedule to help me.

          As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

          Open roads and kind fires!
 
 
 
         

No comments: