Saturday, October 31, 2015

Castles in Second Life VII – Kumamoto Castle


 When you look at Japanese traditional architecture, you have to look at Japanese culture and its relationship with nature. You can actually live in a harmonious, close contact with nature - this very unique to Japan.

Tadao Ando

 

          I return to the highways and byways of Second Life (SL) with this story as I go looking for more castles to explore.

          A new friend inworld, Lelani Carver, suggested I visit Japanese castles for a change so I did and I found one!    

          (She also suggested I visit the Great Wall of China inworld as well.  Look for that story in the future.)

          To date my visits have been to castles drawn from European history or the imaginations of their creators.

          It’s time for some diversity!

          Kumamoto Castle is what I found and here’s my story of my visit there. 

          The castle is located in a contemporary Japanese town occupying its own sim.

          The town is located here and the castle can be rezzed to directly here. 

          Take my advice and rezz into the town’s main landing zone and walk over. 

          You’ll get a feel for modern Japan in Real Life (RL) and appreciate the contrast with the much older castle when you arrive. 

          (Significant Other nods approvingly.  I’m accused of not getting about enough in RL!  For the record, I’m not some overweight slacker hunched over my keyboard surrounded by empty potato chip bags and pizza boxes!) 

          Kumamoto Castle sits on a small island bordered on two sides by the sea.  The other two sides are separated from the mainland by a canal.  Access to the castle is by footbridges over the canal on these sides. 

          (What’s with castles being built on islands in the sea most of the time in SL?)

          The dark colored keep and other buildings loom over the surrounding town and contrast its lighter color scheme.

          Following Japanese castle building tradition (chikujo-jutsu), the foundation is of stone and the buildings themselves are made of wood while the rooves appear to be made from slate. 

          The central keep (tenshukaku) dominates the site. 

          It is approached via a grass covered ramp rising from the central courtyard or bailey
located at the rear of the castle.

          Lower outer buildings in the same style as the keep partially surround the courtyard. 
 
          A small, red and white shrine is at the side of the castle in the front. 
 
          Unfortunately, the builder has not built an interior to Kumamoto Castle expect for the top floor of the keep which affords awesome views of the surrounding town. 


          (I know!  How could a view not be awesome inworld?) 

          The castle offers amazing potential to recreate the samurai age inworld and I hope it happens someday!

          (Yes, yes, I know all about prim restrictions but I can dream can’t I?)

          Overall, Kumamoto Castle and its surrounding town is well worth a visit! 

          Maybe if we leave enough donations in its tip jars then the owner can complete his
masterpiece!

          Additional pictures from my visit can be found on this flickr page. 

          I’d like to thank Lelani for suggesting that I visit a Japanese castle and I look forward to visiting and blogging about her other ones as well!   

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

          Open roads and kind fires!

 

No comments: