Saturday, May 31, 2014

Along the Silk Road in Second Life


A loss that can be repaired by money is not of such very great importance.

The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights

 

          Recently, my good friend in Second Life (SL), Perryn Peterson, reached out to me and invited me over to see the preparations for Silk Road Hunt 5 which kicks off on June 1st. 
          Being once again taken unawares by the passage of time (Significant Other claims that I’m getting old.), I quickly accepted his invitation and scheduled a meeting.  As an additional lure, Perry promised me a sneak peek at his Halloween project.  (Yes, I know that Halloween is several months away and it’s still spring!)
          The Silk Road Hunt is inspired by the legendary Real Life (RL) trade route between China and the West in times long past. Given how SL is a collection of cultures and peoples from all times and place, both real and imagined, the Silk Road Hunt is an imaginative way to set people exploring across the Grid in search of all these.  The participation of over one hundred merchants harkens back to the original mercantile roots. 
          Inworld, the Silk Road Hunt begins at the Asian Victorian Garden in Mieville.   (Before going into the pavilion and starting the Hunt, take some time to stroll the beautiful gardens created by Mike Olbracht, Mieville’s floral wunderkind.  He has outdone himself this time!)
          Once inside the pavilion, hunters can begin their tales of adventure and attempt to acquire as much loot (gifts) as they can from the participating merchants. 
          This year’s theme for the Hunt is Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.”  Which I happen to think is a very fitting one! (Just a small hint, make sure you read this story again before you start the Hunt.  That’s all I’m saying.) 
          In addition to the main hunt, various merchants are having mini-hunts.  While visiting with Perryn, he shows me around the one being arranged by the merchants of Mountain Rose.  The gifts are phenomenal!  Let’s just say that anyone who succeeds here will be able to set up their own small village and clothe everyone.
          The Mountain Rose mini-hunt starting point can be found here.  Tell ‘em web sent you!
          Perryn has been quite busy since we last met to discuss his Lord of the Rings event.  As I mentioned earlier, he’s also planning ahead for Halloween.  I got a chance to see the Pumpkin Patch and where the Witches’ Woods will be.  Perryn promises the creepiest, crawliest, well, you get the picture.  Watch my blog for more details on this upcoming event!
          A little closer, time wise, the sixth anniversary of the establishment of Mieville will be celebrated in July.  Perryn’s already working on those events which will include a charity yard sale.  I plan on several stories around this including one where my Research Assistant, Tera Trenchcoat, and I go exploring by boat around the twelve sims of Mieville.  (Don’t worry, Tera’s an established sailor and can read a compass which is more than can be said for me.  Significant Other wishes her luck.  I’m not sure why.)
          So, remember!  Silk Road Hunt 5 starts on June 1st and runs through June 30th.  Start early and try to go all the way through!  Maybe you’ll run into me!  (Please don’t use that as an excuse to stay away or Perryn will never ask me back.)
          But, most importantly, have fun and appreciate the diverse worlds of SL and all the hard of those who make it all possible for the rest of us!
          I’d like to thank Perryn for taking the time to meet with me and giving me the tour.  Perryn’s a wonderful person who represents all that is right with SL and the communities that make it up.  (And, no, I’m not biased because he laughs at my jokes.)
          Below, I’ve included links to a few pictures of my host, Hunt sites, and a few of the gift.  These are only meant to whet your appetite, go and see for yourselves!  I promise that you won’t be disappointed.
As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.   
My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.
I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

 

Photo No. 1 Perryn Peterson



Photo No. 4 The Starting Point


Photo No. 6 Aladdin’s Lamp!





 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you aware that all the photos are labelled Adult Content at Flickr? Those of us without Flickr accounts can't view them.

webspelunker said...

Yes, working with Flickr on how to resolve. Seems it's very easy to run afoul of their guidelines but very difficult to resolve as quickly! I don't have any adult content in my Flickr account.