Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Saint Patrick’s Day in Second Life!


St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time - a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic.

Adrienne Cook

In my last blog post, I hinted about Perryn Peterson’s latest endeavor, a Saint Patrick’s Day Festival. Yes, Perryn has done it once again, created an environment in Second Life (SL) of another time and place from Real Life (RL). 
 After receiving an invitation from Perryn, I TP to his Saint Patrick’s Day Festival. He greets me with the old Irish greeting “Ceád Mile Fáilte!” or “A hundred thousand welcomes!” 
The terrain that greets me is outstanding.  As I turn around and look a the countryside, I feel I’m back in the Old Country.  (No, I’m not Irish but I’ve visited in RL and I can speak from experience.)  Perryn’s SL partner, Mike Olbracht, has outdone himself with the landscaping on this sim.  RL photos of Ireland have been artfully incorporated into the scenery.  This alone makes a trip here worthwhile. 
           A little artistic license has been taken because Roman ruins have been included in the background.  Perryn’s reasoning is that while the Romans never conquered Ireland (unlike several larger countries) they probably had a few trading posts.  (Whom am I to argue?) 
          We walk around the grounds.  Perryn cautions me to watch out for the leprechauns.  (Remember, if you catch one, he’ll give you his pot o’gold to get away.) 
          Merchants will occupy the large and small stalls offering their wares.  There will be the traditional mini-hunt with Lucky Shamrocks this time each worth $2L. 
          On the Village Green on pose balls where visitors, such as myself, can dance traditional Irish dances.  The Mieville’s weekly theme dance will be held here as well.  The pub, called The Green Man, is located here and one can imbibe Guiness and whiskey here.  (Try it, you’ll like it.) 
          The Saint Patrick’s Day Festival will be held from March 16th to 17th .
          I encourage everyone, especially the Irish, to drop by and hoist a few while enjoying the companionship.   Who knows?  You might find me dancing an Irish jig! 
          One final note, Perryn tells me that events like this won’t be repeated every year.  So, if you think you catch this one next year if you miss it now, you’ll be in for a rude awakening.  Hurry and check it out! 
Below are a few pictures of some the Saint Patrick’s Day Festival.  I hope you drop by and see more for yourself! 
I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

     If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.



Photo No. 2 Perryn Peterson

Photo No. 3 The Rainbow!


Photo No. 5 Leprechaun

Photo No. 6 Another Rainbow

Photo No. 7 Roman Ruins

Photo No. 8 Irish Cottages

Photo No. 9 Merchants’ Lane

Photo No. 10 More Irish Countryside

Photo No. 11 The Green Man Pub


Photo No. 13 The Village Green

 

No comments: