Saturday, August 11, 2012

STEAM 7: Back Among the Steampunks


If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.

Aristotle


Recently, after my attempt at humor inworld, one of my oldest friends in Second Life (SL), Perryn Peterson  (That’s in terms of how long I’ve known him and not how old he is!) reminded me that the semi-annual STEAM: The Hunt was coming up.  This would be STEAM 7. (STEAM is an acronym which stands for “Steampunk Travelers’ Event, Adventure & Megahunt”)  

          I had to admit time has escaped me since I’d last written about a Hunt. That had been in last September.  Real Life (RL) technical and health issues had kept me away from STEAM 6 in March and I didn’t want to miss this chance to catch up with events.

          I meet Perryn at the recently renovated Laughing Gryphon House in Mieville Doyle Victorian Steampunk sim which is also the starting point for the Hunts.  We settle in the comfortable armchairs in an atmosphere comparable to a nineteenth century London gentlemen’s club (I’ll explain some other time how I happen to know what one of those looks like.) and begin our interview about STEAM 7. 

          Perryn has been running Hunts for over three years now and reminisces about how fast time has flown. 

          STEAM 7 will run from September 1st to 30th as the autumn one typically does.  As usual the Hunt has a subtheme to main steampunk one.  This time it’s “Time & Space” honoring H. G. Wells.  Participating merchants will try to incorporate this concept into their gifts to the hunters.    

          Speaking of the merchants, Perryn estimates that there will be about one hundred and forty for STEAM 7 including some hunters like Glorf Bulmer who are now merchants themselves.  Several dozen merchants are new to the Hunt which Perryn believes is a real plus to the increasing popularity of the Hunts.  Unlike when he first started the Hunts and had to “scour the bushes” looking for merchants to participate, he now has to “beat them off with a stick”!  Sounds like things are looking good in world. 

          From the Laughing Gryphon the hunters will first visit the shops of two other Hunt organizers, JoseDiego Silverspar and Wyvern Dryke.   

          Other participating merchants include Mayah Parx of Epic Toy, Janeel Kharg of Ankh Morpork, Noddigton Schmooz, Moggio Morigi, Albus Weka, Villain Baroque and Lexx Bondar.   

Lexx Bondar will be participating in her third Hunt.  (STEAM 5 and STEAM 6 were her earlier forays.)  In the past she has contributed gifts such as a steampunk jetpack and a single seat airship. While Lexx hasn’t made up her mind as to her gift for STEAM 7, she’s leaning towards either a steampunk submersible or a steam powered rocket ship.  Sounds like fun either way!  Lexx enjoys making gifts that hunters will continue to reuse and enjoy.  She sees her sales and traffic go up with each Hunt and feels Hunts are a win-win for everyone. 

Villain Baroque has been participating in the Hunts since STEAM 2 and it is his favorite hunt inworld.  H. G. Wells happens to be one of his favorite writers and will be preparing a special gift based on the “Time & Space” theme.  It’ll be a "Wells Musical Timemachine".   A Steampunk Musicplayer that walks the listener  through the decades from 1860 to 2012 by playing a song of this time, a song somehow related to "Time" like "Beatles - Yesterday" for the 60’s or "Bill Haley - Rock Around the Clock" for the 50’s.  Sounds like another winner!

          Perryn also talks about the sense of community that is built among the hunters who comment on how wonderful the group is, how they’ve made friends, and how friendly and helpful everyone is. 

          Then there’s the business aspect of the Hunts.  Perryn says the merchants are seeing increased traffic and purchases.  Group membership also sees increases after the Hunts. 

          Perryn highlights the poster for STEAM 7 which was done by a new artist, Tattoo Lane. 

          At the risk of editorializing (Why not? It’s my blog after all!), I must say the STEAM: The Hunts are fun events well worth the time.  I’ve met hunters who have do the entire stretch and others who do parts.  All have enjoyed themselves and plan to come back in the future.  I’ll be in and out over the course of the month.  (Perryn, sorry if that keeps some away!) 

          See you there!

          I thank Perryn for his time and assistance and take my leave looking forward to visiting with the hunters and merchants in the Hunt next month.  I would also like to thank Lexx Bondar and Villain Baroque for taking the time to reply to my queries. 

As always, I’m grateful to all for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.

Below are a few pictures of some of the communities I’ve visited inworld, which at the time seemed a little humorous.  I hope you find them that way too! 

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

     If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.


Photo No. 2 Perryn Peterson


Photo No. 4 Refurbished Main Room


No comments: